Sunday, June 24, 2007

Greatest YouTube Hits Part I

Back in the early 90s, a bunch of musicians got together to celebrate Bob Dylan's 30th anniversary of his first album. As you're well aware, this is a perfect concert idea, because while Bob Dylan is the greatest songwriter ever, he's not particularly adept at playing music. His voice is quirky, and unless he's playing with The Band, his backup musicians are proficient yet plodding and dispirited. Check out the O'Jays cover of "Emotionally Yours":



By the way, YouTube used to have a video of Angie Heaton singing "I Want You." It's a beautiful version that was in the original concert, which I saw in a bootleg video, and it was left off the video and album. It used to appear on YouTube, but now it's gone, even though many other videos from that concert appear. Does anyone know the history behind this? I assume there was some legal dispute, but I'm hoping it's something a little more interesting, like maybe everyone hated Angie Heaton because she ate all the Cheetos backstage and didn't turn on the bathroom fan.

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 25, 2007

    Sorry, I've got nothing on Angie Heaton. But I can heap praise on the concert footage you linked of Eric Clapton (the artist formerly known as God) doing "Don't Think Twice It's All Right". The man does wield a pretty mean axe.

    Also from the archives:

    Contestant 1 -- I'll take "Nasal Off-key Rock Vocalists" for 800, Alex.

    Alex -- He's often said to sound like a bad imitation of Bob Dylan.

    Contestant 3 -- Who is Bob Dylan?

    Alex -- Correct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 25, 2007

    That was my bootleg video, if memory serves...and it's probably in the drawer at home. Let me see if I can find it...

    ReplyDelete